For best performance, stability and functionality we have documented some recommendations for running a Nextcloud server.
If you plan a setup for your organization and you rely on professional deployment consulting (e.g. efficient and reliable scaling) and support, we strongly recommend you to check out our enterprise support.
See Installation on Linux for minimum PHP-modules and additional software for installing Nextcloud.
Memory requirements for running a Nextcloud server are greatly variable, depending on the numbers of users, apps, files and volume of server activity.
Nextcloud needs a minimum of 128MB RAM, and we recommend a minimum of 512MB.
Database requirements for MySQL / MariaDB¶
The following is currently required if you’re running Nextcloud together with a MySQL / MariaDB database:
- InnoDB storage engine (MyISAM is not supported)
- “READ COMMITED” transaction isolation level (See: Database “READ COMMITTED” transaction isolation level)
- Disabled or BINLOG_FORMAT = ROW configured Binary Logging (See: https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/binary-log-formats.html)
- For Emoji (UTF8 4-byte) support see Enabling MySQL 4-byte support
We strongly recommend using the latest version of your operating system to get the full and most stable experience out of our clients.
- Windows 8.1+
- macOS Lion (10.7)+ (64-bit only)
- Linux (CentOS 6.5+, Ubuntu 14.04+, Fedora 21+, openSUSE 13, SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 SP3+, Debian 8 (Jessie)+, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7)
We strongly recommend using the latest version of your mobile operating system to get the full and most stable experience out of our mobile apps.
- iOS 11.x+
- Android 4.x+
The separate Nextcloud Talk app requires iOS 10.x+ or Android 5.x+.
For the best experience with the Nextcloud web interface, we recommend that you use the latest and supported version of a browser from this list, or one based on those:
- Microsoft Edge
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome/Chromium
- Apple Safari
If you want to use Nextcloud Talk you should use Mozilla Firefox 52+ or Google Chrome/Chromium 49+ to have the full experience with video calls and screensharing. Google Chrome/Chromium requires an additional plugin for screensharing.